It is responsible for:
- monitoring and taking action on reports of bad effects from veterinary medicines
- testing for residues of veterinary medicines or illegal substances in animals and animal products
- assessing applications for and authorising companies to sell veterinary medicines in the UK and the EU
- controlling how veterinary medicines are made and distributed
- advising government ministers on developing veterinary medicines policy and putting it into action
- making, updating and enforcing UK legislation on veterinary medicines
The organisation has accredited certification for quality management (ISO 9001) and information security management (ISO 27001) to demonstrate the systems and processes they have in place, the quality of staff and their commitment to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the services they provide to customers.
Further information is available on the UK Government website.